Regular check-ups every six months are important to ensure your oral health, and prevent minor problems from becoming more serious. The health of your teeth can gums can impact your overall health, so it is important to establish a relationship with a dentist. These twice yearly visits can offer a chance for us to give you additional tips to maintain your oral health, and to detect any problems in the early stages when they are easiest to treat.
We will clean your teeth and check for cavities or gum disease, but we’ll also check your mouth, face and neck for abnormalities. Dental X-rays and photographs can help us get a clear picture of the health of your mouth and gums. At your visit you can expect:
- An examination that will will look for cavities, and check for plaque and tartar build-up
- Next, we’ll check your gums for evidence of gum disease
- We’ll also carefully examine your tongue, mouth, face, head and neck for evidence of disease, such as cancer.
- Then the cleaning will happen - brushing will remove any plaque or tartar build-up.
- We may also polish your teeth using a grittier toothpaste - this can help remove surface stains.
- Finally, we’ll floss your teeth to ensure even the spaces between your teeth are as clean as possible.
Dental Check-up Every 6 Months
At the end of your visit we’ll discuss your oral health and offer any preventive measures we think may be important to help stave off decay, gum disease and other dental issues. While the average patient maintains check-ups every six months, if you have gum disease or we believe you may be at risk for gum disease or tooth decay, we may recommend more frequent visits.
Proper Oral Hygiene
In between your visits with us you should pay very close attention to maintaining proper oral hygiene. This can minimize the risks of issues arising. Brush twice daily using a fluoride toothpaste. Floss at least once a day. Use a mouthwash that can help eliminate plaque build-up and follow the other recommendations our dentists will give you during your exam/cleaning.