Every milestone in your baby’s life is an enigma. You never know when your baby will say their first word, get their first rash or flu, take their first step, or visit a pediatric dentist. Read on below to learn what to expect when taking your child for their first dentist visit.
When is the Right Time?
According to the American Dental Association, babies get their first tooth at nearly six months old. If your baby’s teeth have not started growing by then, plan to visit the best dentist in the local Lowell, MA, area before your child’s first birthday. Otherwise, rule of thumb is to take your baby to the dentist once the first baby tooth erupts.
Why this early? 1 in 5 children under the age of five suffers from tooth decay and other dental complications. This age is perfect because a qualified pediatric dentist will notice any abnormal developments that need immediate treatment. Furthermore, your toddler’s dentist will have a steady track of your baby’s dental health for future reference.
Taking your baby to the best dentist in Lowell, MA, ensures a healthy foundation for his/her smile in the future, even after losing baby teeth.
Before visiting your pediatric dentist, keep in mind that it is the first time your baby is visiting the dentist. Your baby may be scared of the unfamiliar faces, dental equipment, and change of environment. Therefore, it is essential to prepare yourself and your child accordingly. To do so, follow the steps below:
• Fill out any necessary documents before the day of the appointment
• Write a list of any concerns and questions you may have for your pediatric dentist
• Never interfere with your baby’s naptime – ensure your child has had enough rest to avoid a cranky or irritable mood during their first appointment
• Clean your child’s teeth before the appointment – use gauze or cloth if you do not have a soft toothbrush. Also, avoid fluoridated toothpaste.
• Feeding them a light meal keeps babies happy and prevents a fussy baby or hunger tantrum
• Be positive on your way to the best dentist – this helps elevate your baby’s spirit and eliminate fear
• After the appointment, have a fun activity planned – your child will relate a visit to the dentist with a reward, making future visits easier
• To give your child the best experience, select the best dentist in your region
What to Expect
The main thing your pediatric dentist will do at your child’s first dentist appointment is evaluate your baby’s oral development. This assessment includes the gums, jaws, teeth, tongue, etc., to check for any dental problems or potential issues. At this point, the dentist will detect cavities and mouth injuries that may be worrisome.
Expect your pediatric dentist to offer preventive tips and schedule a consequent visit (usually after 6-12 months). Normally, the best dentist provides advice on eating habits, fluoride intake or lack of, thumb sucking, and the use of pacifiers. Regular visits to the best dentist in your area will guarantee your child never suffers from dental complications.
There is a lot to consider before taking your baby to their first dentist appointment, especially for new parents. To ensure your baby’s teeth are developing properly, schedule your baby’s first appointment with the best dentist in your local Lowell, MA, area. With the new parent tips above, your baby will be on his/her way to a happy, healthy and long-lasting smile. For the best dental care services including dentistry for babies, toddlers and children of all ages, visit Lowell Dental Arts, the best pediatric dentist in Lowell, MA.